CheckSwing

The Premier Baseball Social Network for Players, Coaches, Scouts, and Umpires

Does anyone have suggestions on hitting drills for switch hitters. I've been switch hitting for about 6 years but I haven't switch hit in a regular season for the past 3 seasons. Any suggestions to get myself back in the groove?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just started back switch hitting last year. I hadn't switch hit since I was playing wiffle ball in my back yard as a kid. Most of the pitchers in my league a right-handed. I had been batting exclusively right handed for the first third of the season. I found that I had good success against lefties, but was chasing (and missing) a lot off curve balls that were breaking out of the strike zone. I mention this because you need to be committed to working twice as hard, if not harder, to be proficient from both sides of the plate.

With that said, I started out slow. I broke down my swing into its components in slow motion, with no ball. I would stop at various checkpoints to make sure that I was in proper position. I then moved up to hitting off of a tee with slow, controlled swings. (I use an Instructo-Swing 5000. This tee has two steel bars at the top and bottom that create a channel that mimics the proper swing plane. If you are off plane, it let's you know.) I gradually increased my bat speed until I felt comfortable that it was correct. I then moved on to soft-toss, again beginning in slow motion and then increasing speed. I would go back and forth between tee work and soft toss for a while before moving on to batting cages. Again, in the batting cage I started off slow, making sure that my technique was good before increasing speed. All the time I was doing this, I was also doing the same with my right-handed swing. I think my right-handed swing improved at the same time.

If this sounds like it takes a long time, you're right, it does. I tore my ACL last year and I did a lot of this work while recuperating. I was also having trouble at the time against the right handed pitchers. For me, it was worth it. My average doubled when I returned for the last third of the season, but it took a lot of work. If you are not having significant problems, or you do not have a lot of extra time to devote to this, I would suggest focusing on one side of the plate. Otherwise, work up until you feel confident that you can hit equally well in a cage. Once there, just step up to the plate knowing you are well prepared and that you no longer have to worry about those knee-bending curve balls being thrown at you.

Good luck!
Yeah I've been working on hitting every day. I usually hit in the cages at least 3 times a week and then take soft toss and do drills 5-7 days a week. On an average day at the cages I take about 40 swings right handed and about 60-75 left handed. It seems that I can hit great in the cage and off a tee but when I have live arm fastballs I'm having trouble making solid contact. I'm either popping up, fouling off, or just missing everything completely.
Tee work, plain and simple.

A tee will simply get your body doing what it needs to do during your swing.

once your comfortable swinging at something not moving, then move to soft toss from the side, then front-on soft toss before advancing to BP.

Something that is over looked almost with every hitting is the ability to lay down a bunt in conjunction with your swing. so at the start of EVERY BP session always start with AT LEAST 5 bunts for the first few months, then as your get more comfortable go back to 3.

bunting is great to see the ball before you start swinging.

RSS

Get Your CheckSwing Badge !

Loading…

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

Audio

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Kyle Grucci.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

-->