The Premier Baseball Social Network for Players, Coaches, Scouts, and Umpires

Does anyone have suggestions on hitting drills for switch hitters. I've been switch hitting for about 6 years but I haven't switch hit in a regular season for the past 3 seasons. Any suggestions to get myself back in the groove?

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just started back switch hitting last year. I hadn't switch hit since I was playing wiffle ball in my back yard as a kid. Most of the pitchers in my league a right-handed. I had been batting exclusively right handed for the first third of the season. I found that I had good success against lefties, but was chasing (and missing) a lot off curve balls that were breaking out of the strike zone. I mention this because you need to be committed to working twice as hard, if not harder, to be proficient from both sides of the plate.

With that said, I started out slow. I broke down my swing into its components in slow motion, with no ball. I would stop at various checkpoints to make sure that I was in proper position. I then moved up to hitting off of a tee with slow, controlled swings. (I use an Instructo-Swing 5000. This tee has two steel bars at the top and bottom that create a channel that mimics the proper swing plane. If you are off plane, it let's you know.) I gradually increased my bat speed until I felt comfortable that it was correct. I then moved on to soft-toss, again beginning in slow motion and then increasing speed. I would go back and forth between tee work and soft toss for a while before moving on to batting cages. Again, in the batting cage I started off slow, making sure that my technique was good before increasing speed. All the time I was doing this, I was also doing the same with my right-handed swing. I think my right-handed swing improved at the same time.

If this sounds like it takes a long time, you're right, it does. I tore my ACL last year and I did a lot of this work while recuperating. I was also having trouble at the time against the right handed pitchers. For me, it was worth it. My average doubled when I returned for the last third of the season, but it took a lot of work. If you are not having significant problems, or you do not have a lot of extra time to devote to this, I would suggest focusing on one side of the plate. Otherwise, work up until you feel confident that you can hit equally well in a cage. Once there, just step up to the plate knowing you are well prepared and that you no longer have to worry about those knee-bending curve balls being thrown at you.

Good luck!
Yeah I've been working on hitting every day. I usually hit in the cages at least 3 times a week and then take soft toss and do drills 5-7 days a week. On an average day at the cages I take about 40 swings right handed and about 60-75 left handed. It seems that I can hit great in the cage and off a tee but when I have live arm fastballs I'm having trouble making solid contact. I'm either popping up, fouling off, or just missing everything completely.

Get Your CheckSwing Badge !

• Add Videos

© 2015   Created by Kyle Grucci.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service