CheckSwing

The Premier Baseball Social Network for Players, Coaches, Scouts, and Umpires

Ok, I am going to open this door because I have read so many of these recent discussions about hitting (rotational vs linear). Why do we feel the need to label hitters? And why do we feel the need to subscribe to one philosophy of hitting? Too many programs ( and my favorite college team is one, of which I am a major critic) teach all hitters the same way. You can look one through 9 and the only difference in the batter is the name and number. Why don't we fit the hitting techniques to the hitters strenghts instead of putting the hitter into the philosophy? Fire away..........

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't understand what you mean by "backwards barrell" the barrel lags slightly as the hitters hands go forward, but they are not taking the barrel backwards. Also, I think you guys are basically saying the same thing. The back leg/hip does the work but if you look at where the bag leg is in relation to the center of the body, they move into symmetry.
You are manipulating angles Jeff lol.. your a funny guy
Jeff....seriously lol....the BARRELL DOES NOT make a movement backwards!!!!!!! You are obviously not looking close enough....go get yourself right view pro and draw some lins on the swing.......if you draw a vertical line on the back of the hands when the hitter loads and barrell will barely go behind that line because the hands are bringing the bat forward.....

EVERYONE READING THIS LOOK AT THE PIC ABOVE>>>TAKE A PIECE OF PAPER AND PLACE IT VERTICALLY AT THE BACK OF THE HANDS WHEN LONGORIA GETS TO THE LOAD POSITION.............YOU WILL BARELY SEE THE BARRELL OF THE BAT IF AT ALL CAUSE YOU NEED GOOD EYES.
DO IT FOR PEDROIA....DO IT FOR PUJOLS.......DO IT FOR EVERY PIC HERE...................Pujos flattens his head out early and drops it into the hitting zone in that swing sooner....due to that you will see his barrell a bit more than the others.

The whole point is that good hitters flatten their bat head out to keep it in the hitting zone longer but the head is dropping, not making a movement backwards.
Perhaps this is just an argument about symantics, but I don't follow you jeff. The bat "lags" or goes slightly backwards as the rear elbow is being driven forward. This is not an intentional move to push the barrell away. Am I misunderstanding you? No tone taken from your posts or implied. This is great stuff.
I agree with the Swingbuilder. Eugene, I think if you looked at the images in a 3D mindset, you would realize that your technique is an outdated Linear approach to batting. The batter swings at the ball according to the ball's path to the batter. Post your at bat, we'll talk!
Just because you have an analysis software doesn't mean your input is correct. I'm sure glad the Swingbuilder actually has correct analysis skills.
I treat alll my hitters differently as each one of them has a different feel and comfort point. That being said, there are certain positions and movements that are all the same. Remember this always...the machine used to hit a ball is always the same. The Human body moves best in certain motions. There are plenty of different ways to physically hit a ball but there is only 1 MOST EFFICIENT way.

As for the pictures abaove, those balls are hit well obviously, but the point is, with just a few tweaks they could be hit even better. Even the best hitters of all time take horrible swings sometimes, even the worst take great ones, when teaching it is about attempting to train to perfection so that hitters consistently get closer and closer to their most efficient swing everytime. If both hitters would hold their chest closed a fraction longer and get their front arms in a stronger position they would be better, however, both are strong enough and talented enough to leak open just a fraction and still drive the ball out of the park....
Many times we as hitting coaches get caught up in the style vs. technique thing. As we know style is the way an individual looks, maybe the cosmetic aspects of the swing. If the style does not interfere with the technique then it is a non factor in dealing with swings. Sometimes hitters can look the same and it is based on style, if this is the case then one could call that cloning.
Facts say that the best hitters to ever swing a bat over time exhibit many of the same characteristics/techniques and these are: balance throughout the swing from start to finish, rotation in place once the stride is completed,rotation in order from the lower half up through the hands and bat and finally the bat is delivered towards contact last. These facts are irrefutable and there to see for anyone who wants to look at video frame by frame.
For so long hitting techniques have been based on opinion or something that was said in the past then passed on until it became accepted as fact but really never was. All successful hitters whether they are contact or power guys will have the four basics stated above. That would not be cloning but rather providing the proper teach to allow all to reach their potential
Rotation before heel plant or after heel plant is basically a timing issue. It can and does happen both ways. As you say most of the time the swing is getting into rotation as the heel is dropping if the pitch has been timed so the hitter is in a strong balanced hitting position to begin the swing. It all seems pretty similar.
splitting hairs. It seems like we are in agreement that the swing starts with the lower half. I like to say from the ground up to get the quickness of the feet involved as it seems to me that when teaching the sequential swing it works best to involve the feet whether they start the actual process or not.
Going back to your comment about rotating in place. An objective of hitting is to attack each pitch with the hit,hit,hit mentality and then take if it isn't a good pitch. This attack mentality allows the weight to remain balanced on the stride. Generally whatever the length of the stride the head is going to move forward half that distance. That will allow the hitter to retain balance in the all important hitting position which is one of the areas within the swing where all hitters are close to being in the same position.Once the stride foot touches the ground a line can be drawn down through the center of the head and the best hitters will rotate around that axis of rotation with as little linear action as possible. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time because it isn't that easy but that is an important aspect of an A swing.
Balance is an issue that we should not be concerned with. When rotating an object IS BALANCED. When rotating on a tilted axis and at PoC, the torso is 'tilted' or leaning toward the plate. Rotation causes the batter to stay 'balanced'. In physics this is the angular momentun property of rotation. Like a spinning top, it can spin at a tilt and not fall over until it stops spinning. Samething in a batter's roation, he will not fall over or get off balnce until he stops rotating, kinda like what you see Bonds do at the end of his swing, finishing up with a step to the plate from his back leg. If you trusted the fact that when rotating one is balanced, you would then be able to maintain that angled axis throughout PoC, and not force your self to level out the shoulders before PoC. @ swing builder, the stretch is upper body/lower body seperation.... Weight transer in terms of rotation has no back to front.... In the video above, stop at PoC, how is the batter facing?

RSS

Get Your CheckSwing Badge !

Loading…

Events

Audio

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Kyle Grucci.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

-->