CheckSwing

The Premier Baseball Social Network for Players, Coaches, Scouts, and Umpires

Out of curiosity does anyone support/teach a closed stance? Growing up I had a closed stance due to the fact that my all time favorite player was Will "The Thrill" Clark. By the time I got to college I opened my stance up to see the ball better. I support an open stance 100% but I never change my hitters stance unless it is completely necessary. Are there hitters out there having success with a closed stance or is this a lost art?

Views: 5958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe that one of the main benefits of, THE OPEN STANCE, is that for people who have the problem of, "BAILING OUT - AKA - STEPPING INTO THE BUCKET,"... especially with same side pitchers...they will find that...THE OPEN STANCE, pretty much, corrects the flaw, by forcing the batter to, STEP INTO THE BALL MORE REGULARLY...It also has been reported to give a hitter a better view of the incoming pitch... I believe this is one of the reasons why ROD CAREW basically advocated using, THE OPEN STANCE...

I used an open stance all through my HS career, when I went to play D1 ball the hitting coach automatically tried to change me to a close stance.  He told me that with the leg kick I had, I would never get to the ball.  For 2 years i listen to him and was unsuccessful.  I transferred out to a small D3 college, so I would not have to sit out a year.  They had recruited me from HS, so the hitting coach was all ready aware of my capabilities.  First thing he asked me was "why did you take your open stance away".  I went back to the open stance.  I ended up being a 2 time All American, and went on to play professionally over seas.  The open stance was not about power for me or clearing my hips, but the line of vision it gave me to see the ball.  With the closed stance I was limiting my visibility, which gets to my point that it is all about preference for the hitter.  This is what makes the game great, you cannot have a group of clones all hitting or pitching the same way.  Yes the mechanics need to be similar, but how you get to those mechanics and stay comfortable is the key.

When I was doing lessons I never tried to push an open or closed stance, for me it was where the hitter was comfortable and how they got to the ball, extended and cleared the hips. 

Good stuff Bobby.  That was what felt natural to you. Too many coaches are coaching the athleticism out of kids in order to fit a philosophy that they believe in. Sometimes less coaching leads to more results. 

RSS

Get Your CheckSwing Badge !

Loading…

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

Audio

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Kyle Grucci.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

-->