CheckSwing

The Premier Baseball Social Network for Players, Coaches, Scouts, and Umpires

This past summer I was helping out a MLB tryout camp clocking the pitchers  and about 1 out 4 pitchers got on the mound and could not reach 80 mph. The first pitcher threw 65-67 mph. One MLB scout was upset that everyone there claimed they were a pitcher, even though it was pretty obvious most never pitched before in their lives. Why were they wasting our time and just embarrassing themselves?

They just wanted to say they tryout for a MLB team.

The bad thing was there was some legit MLB prospects there,  players who threw in the  92-93 mph range. The players who had ability threw longer about 20 pitches, the ones who did not were sent home after maybe 10 pitches.

Just wondering to the players who really have ability know it and the players  who have no ability know they lack any baseball skills.

Views: 310

Replies to This Discussion

That is why you have camps and tryouts, because most parents think their players are better than what they really are.  Plus, most players do not have a real feel of their own talent until a third party says they are or they play against some other players.  I was one of the best athletes in my HS but never recruited, best in college and my coach then told me I was talented enough to get drafted and did.  But I never thought I was better than everyone else.

This seems to a baseball specific situation.  There are no open tryouts that I know of for other professional sports. My understanding is that the open tryouts were originally done to both find players and also to provide a way for teams to market themselves in an area and help sell tickets..  a form of community outreach.

Do you think that when MLB scouts are upset/frustrated with these tryouts that they will eventually go away? Do teams still get value from a public relations standpoint by holding tryouts in local communities?

To answer your question....  No, many players are clueless as to their actual talent level.  Many played against weak competition most of their lives and were told by family that they are great.  This is absolutely fine.  Sports should be fun and rewarding, but common sense should dictate that a pro tryout is not the right place for you.

On the flip side, maybe you get a guy who goes to a Cincinnati Reds tryout camp, throws 65 mph. Then goes on to be a good slow pitch softball player who tells his teammates that he tried out for the Reds....  and buys Reds season tickets because he feels a connection to the Reds.

Also most tryouts cost money.  If me as a player is willing to pay the money what do you as a scout care.  If you don't like my ability oh well just collect my money and send me home when I'm done.

http://WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM  781 891 0621  AT THE TRYOUTS THAT I HELD HERE IN NEWTON,MA. WE GOT SOME NICE TURNOUTS, BUT I WOULD SAY THAT 90% OF THE PLAYERS HAD NO CLUE AND WERE ONLY AMATURE TYPE PLAYERS. THEY HAD SWOLEN HEADS ABOUT THEIR SKILLS. TO RUN A 60 YRD DASH IN 8.0 IS VERY SLOW BUT IN THEIR MINDS THEY WERE REAL FAST!! HAD A GUY THAT OVER THE PHONE WAS OVER WEIGHT AND OUT OF SHAPE BUT HE SAID HIS RETARDED GRAND FATHER HAD A RADAR GUN AND HE COULD TOP OUT AT 95. AFTER MANY CALLS HERE I AGREED TO MEET HIM AT THE FIELD. HE WAS HUFFING AND PUFFIN AND THE RADAR SAID 59 ALMOST EVERY TIME. I WHENT OUT TO THE MOUND AND SAID WHEN ARE U GOIN TO START THROWING U SAID U CAN HIT 95. HE LOOKED AT THE RADAR AND IT READ 59, OH!!! HE CRIED OUT MY RETARDED GRAND FATHER READ THE RADAR BACKWARDS, I AM SO SORRY!!

My take. If you have the mind to play the sport, then you will be able to play this game, regardless of your skill level. I look at the game of baseball just like anything else in life, like the game of chess. In baseball just like any other sport you have to outsmart your opponent. That is how you win championships. The majority of the people may not have the physical ability to play baseball, but they have the mental capability to play the game. Sometimes getting players who can do things without thinking is a bad thing, because that player is predictable. Me personally I would rather have a player that is a calculator.      

Dion, just curious, because every big time player that I've known personally says something to the affect: "If you're at the plate over-thinking, you're done before the pitcher even throws the ball".

In other words, time for thinking and studying the game and the opposing pitcher is when you're off the field, but once on it, you must kick it into cruise control and let instincts take over.  The game is too fast to try to calculate during live action.  Also, hitting a baseball is a difficult thing to do, and rocket scientists will study the physics involved and agree.  They won't however, be able to study the physics involved, then grab a bat and go hit the ball with any authority.  But then there are these big boys, dumb as a box of rocks, who can pick up a bat and hit it a mile after drinking a couple of beers.  

That said, it sounds like you have some real experience in having success selecting lesser athletes but players with higher intellectual ability.  Curious to hear more about your process for selecting or scouting players and how you are able to balance out the need for athleticism and intellectualism.

RSS

Get Your CheckSwing Badge !

Loading…

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

Audio

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Kyle Grucci.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

-->