CheckSwing

The Premier Baseball Social Network for Players, Coaches, Scouts, and Umpires

Has any umpire out there had the catcher in the game your working behind the plate deliberately drop his glove with the intent to injure you.
If so how did you handle the situation.

Views: 52

Replies to This Discussion

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "drop his glove," but if any catcher tries to injure me and I have no doubt, I eject him (and depending on the league make appropriate contact with league officials).
It happens more than you think. The cbua-ne gave its sportsmanship award to a catcher from Boston College and he was stupid enough to mention it at our banquet"dropping his glove on the plate umpire". Don't AND I MEAN DON'T just throw the the idiot that dropped his glove on you . you don't think the pitcher was in on it and the coaching staff condones it. I'd put there ass in a sling and file a report to the league . in this case it would be the The Big East and or the ECAC.
I think what he means by dropping the glove is when the catcher purposely moves his glove and lets the ball hit the ump. A lot of times catchers will do it and make it appear that the pitcher got crossed up on signals. I have been an ump and a catcher and I would never do that to the ump because he controls the outcome of the game to an extent.
the last time the MLB umpires went out on a work stoppage they hired college officials.
I don't remember the teams but it was a night game and the plate ump was having a hard time with the catcher. There were runners on base.
the catcher calls for an inside fast ball at 90 plus and the catcher gets up and jumps out of the way fawning a pitch out, just before the ball gets to home plate and nails blue right in the groin. he went down like a rock and as far as I know nothing happened. If you have any self esteem at all, there are people that are going to get tossed or you can keep your blood money.
Yours In Baseball
Bob
Toss him - immediately and emphatically. Unless it's 100 degrees outside - then keep him in the game, but tell him if a baseball so much as brushes your ballbag, he's done - for the next three games. (That's a standard suspension for physical aggression or threats in many leagues.) And that if he wants you to call any more strikes for his pitcher, he better catch 'em all. Without complaining.

I would also report this to the league president asap and let him or her decide how to handle the punk.
t/y Perry;
I get more flack about this from players and coaches.
I worked a New England Legion regional tourney in Lowell, Ma. years ago.
The catcher dropped his glove on me and the ball caught me on the collar bone .
I saw stars, but finally got up and proceeded to throw him out, the pitcher out, and the manager out, because he condones that kind of unsportsmanlike conduct.His team did win the game.
My two partners did not agree that i tossed the other two.
I wound up working the rest of the game with an ice pack inside my chest protector.
After the Game the New England commissioner was upset until i had my say.I sent a letter to him after the tournament. and we still played a friendly penny poker game every week until his passing two years ago.
Yours in Baseball;
bob oleary
It never ceases to amaze me how league commissioners and presidents so often lose their balls when it comes to backing up the only representatives they have on the field - us, the umpires. I guess they're caught between weighing the value of imposing an appropriate penalty, which in my opinion for the kind of deliberate intent to harm that you're talking about warrants EXECUTION, and not wanting to alienate the players who are their bread and butter.

We umpires don't have any such qualms or ambivalence. I've had my collarbone broken on the field, twice - the first time by a pitch that hit a batter and caromed off him crazily, shattering my left clavicle, and the second by an errant warm-up throw between half innings! (And believe me, did that teach me to keep my eye everlastingly on the ball, even when it looks like nothing's happening.) My point being, that it's too easy to get hurt by accident, so I never condone anyone trying to hurt someone else, especially me, on purpose.

I always favor invoking the most severe penalty for any infraction, not as a punitive measure but simply as a game management tool, so bravo to you for tossing the manager and the pitcher too. When commissioners and league presidents don't back us up, it hurts, but as long as we handle ourselves with aplomb and restraint no matter what the circumstances - and the act of tossing a jerk like the catcher who let you get hit is actually a measure of restraint, for it will keep a potentially volatile situation from getting worse - then whatever response or lack thereof we get from them won't matter as much as knowing that we handled ourselves as best we could. And it sounds like you did exactly that.
Yes toss all three. The pitcher and catcher both committed extreme acts of unsportsmanlike conduct. If the manager wasnt aware of their intentions he should spend his and their suspensions explaining how to show respect for the game and all of its participants.
Never happened to me, but I'll tell you what I would do. I would eject the catcher immediately as well as the pitcher if he so much as grins. Then, when the coach comes, and, trust me, he's coming, if he utters anything other than apologizing for his catcher's actions, he goes, too.

RSS

Get Your CheckSwing Badge !

Loading…

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

Audio

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Kyle Grucci.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

-->