Baseball coaching tips of the day
Athletic motivation begins and ends with the 3 A’s!
You must know what does and does not motivate youth.
Things that motivate:
- Attention – showing legitimate interest in player improvement and other activities that kids are involved with is a good start.
- Approval – positive words, well-timed smiles, recognizing little improvement help kids feel like a success, which is the best motivator.
- Attitude – Positive coaches develop positive thinking, enthusiastic kids. Team’s reflect their coach over time.
Best Ways not to Motivate? The same 3 A’s!
- Too much attention on “today's” game as if it’s the only important thing they do today, and too much emphasis on winning.
- So much approval that it comes across as false praise.
- Negative and cynical coaching attitudes – the biggest motivation killer