Baseball coaching tips of the day
From day 1, coaches should institute three rules of behavior with the team.
1. No negative comments – any words directed at anyone that are meant to embarrass another is unacceptable.
2. No pouting. This one may take time and patience to see through. Explain that pouting makes the games about individuals and not team and that it drags the team down.
3. No excuses. Teach kids to be accountable for their actions and understand that some failure is the nature of sports.
4. No excessive celebration. Despite what they see on TV, anything that rubs it in on the other team is not acceptable.
5. No fear. This one is on the coaches. You should create an atmosphere where kids are not afraid to make mistakes.