Baseball coaching tips of the day
Show your team how to relate to coworkers.
It doesn't take long for players and parents to sense divisiveness among coaches. Team divisions may form soon after.
Team chemistry begins with the head coach and the relationships with the other coaches, parents and umpires. When coaches get along well with other adults, athletes recognize that and learn from it.
• Discuss your coaching objectives and roles with assistants before the season.
• Discuss what having a “kid-first” mindset means.
• Request other coach’s input as often as possible.
• Allow other coaches to teach without looking over their shoulders.
• Avoid coaching disagreements in front of the players.